Under pressure from current economic and ecological conditions imposed, foundries are continuously striving for and seeking out new ways in which to efficiently produce castings of the highest quality whilst at the same time having to complying with increasingly stringent emissions regulations relating to both workplace and local atmospheric environment.
The expert knowledge of the chemical reactions that occur inside the molding sand during the casting process, and the pyrolysis of the sand admixture led Imerys Metalcasting Solutions to develop and design innovative products that has enabled the foundry process to operate with fewer emissions improving both workplace conditions and employee health.
ENVIBOND has a positive effect on the volume of gases emitted due to
- Reduced use of lustrous carbon formers (e.g. sea coal) between 30 and 90% depending on individual foundry practice.
- Adsorption of emerging gases resulting from the use of core binders, lustrous carbon formers and other gas releasing components associated with the casting process
- Improvements to greensand flowability and resultant increases in mold density
- Homogeneous mold compaction and uniform quality of the casting surface due to optimum flowability of the molding sand. Higher mold wall density minimizes surface roughness due to metal penetration
- Fewer moisture related casting defects (explosion penetrations) due to a lower water demand of the molding sand
Environmental objectives and requirements are more easily achievable
- Reduction in the emission of HAPs such as Benzene, Carbon Monoxide and odors associated with the casting process of up to 90%, dependent on the inflow of core sand to the system
- Reduced consumption of molding sand binders
- Reduced smoke pollution in the working environment
- Better possibilities of re-utilizing of waste molding sand in alternative applications due to lower concentrations of pollutants and condensates
- Additional economic efficiency due to the lower requirement for air filtration and less pollution of extraction installations with condensates reducing fire risk and maintenance
- Reduced costs associated with meeting environmental legislation
Want to know more about our products, please contact us.